Hurricane season begins June 1. Taking steps now to prepare your family, home and business can make a big difference:
- Create an emergency communication plan with your family. This plan spells out how everyone will contact each other, where to go and how to get back together.
- Build an emergency kit. Keep it ready at home, at work and in the car.
- Check your insurance coverage. Damage caused by flooding is usually not covered by homeowners insurance policies. Buy flood insurance. To learn more about protecting your home, visit FloodSmart.gov.
- Know your community’s evacuation plan, evacuation routes and how to receive alerts.
- Stay informed about current conditions. Listen to local officials and evacuation orders.
- Download an emergency weather app on your phone. Have backup power for your phone. Purchase a weather radio.
- Keep all important documents in a waterproof container to take with you if you evacuate.
- Ready.gov/hurricane and ReadyNC.org provide helpful information on how to plan.
Unfinished storm repairs could make your home vulnerable to future storm damage.