Resources for Hurricane Florence Survivors With Unmet Needs

Resources for Hurricane Florence Survivors With Unmet Needs

North Carolinians who still face unmet needs from Hurricane Florence may find help through other state and federal resources. The deadline has passed for survivors to register for disaster assistance from FEMA and to apply for a U.S. Small Business Administration low-interest disaster loans, but help is still available.

State Assistance

Hurricane Florence Recovery
For information regarding Hurricane Florence recovery visit the North Carolina Department of Public Safety at

North Carolina Emergency Management Individual Assistance Helpline
The NCEM Individual Assistance Helpline is available for those who suffered property damage or loss as a result of Hurricane Florence or have issues related to their unmet needs, housing assistance, repairs and medical equipment. Call 919-825-2378.

NC 2-1-1
Survivors with unmet needs may call the statewide information line which can provide callers with nearby shelter, housing and other storm-related details. Dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162, or text Florence to 898211. The information line is staffed around the clock to connect North Carolinians to disaster-related resources.

Disaster Case Management
Disaster Case Management involves a partnership between a case manager and a disaster survivor to develop and carry out the survivor’s long-term recovery plan. Individuals who have suffered losses not covered by state or local government programs may benefit from case management services. To contact the Disaster Case Management service provider, please email:[email protected] or call one of the two offices depending on where you live.

  • Residents of Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, Cumberland, Harnett, Hoke, Johnston, Lee, Moore, New Hanover, Richmond, Robeson, Sampson and Scotland counties should call the Fayetteville office at 910-672-6175.
  • Residents of Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Duplin, Greene, Hyde, Jones, Lenoir, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Wayne and Wilson counties should call the Jacksonville office at 910-378-4913

    Crisis Counseling
    Those affected by Hurricane Florence can access confidential crisis counseling services provided by the Hope 4 NC program, which is overseen by a division of the NC Department of Health and Human Services. In addition to counseling, survivors can receive assessments and referrals for services and support. Call 855-587-FIND (3463).

    Download the ReadyNC app or visit ReadyNC.orgReadyNC provides resources for everything from traffic jams to hurricanes and ice storms. The app and website provide information on real-time traffic and weather conditions, river levels, evacuations and power outages.

    The NC Department of Human and Health Services, in partnership with the NC Coalition to End Homelessness, the NC Housing Finance Agency and other state agencies and partners, is continuing to house individuals and families affected by Hurricane Florence at risk of homelessness through the Back@Home initiative. Visit to learn more.

    Available Housing Information
    North Carolina residents who have been displaced by Hurricane Florence may search for available housing, Property owners and managers can add and/or update listings of available units. Login or call toll-free877-428-8844 for assistance.


    Disaster Legal Services
    Free legal services are available for low-income survivors of Hurricane Florence. Attorneys may be able to assist survivors with disaster-related legal matters. Call the Disaster Legal Services Hotline at 833-242-3549.

    Insurance Hotline
    If you need help with your insurance claim or settlements, call the NC Department of Insurance at 855-408-1212. For more information, go to

    Services for Seniors
    North Carolina has many programs and services for seniors. Details are available on the NC Department of Health and Human Services website:

    County Departments of Social Services
    Every county in North Carolina has its own local social services agency. A directory with contact names, addresses and phone numbers is on the NC Department of Health and Human Services website:

    Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Services
    The NC Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services works to promote excellence in prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation programs for persons with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse disorders in North Carolina. Visit their website:


    Federal Assistance

    Disaster Distress Helpline
    If you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed by Hurricane Florence, call the Disaster Distress Helpline at 800-985-5990 any time day or night to speak with a trained crisis counselor. Or text TalkWithUs to 66746. For Spanish, text Hablanos to 66746. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA) operates the hotline. SAMSHA offers free, year-round disaster crisis counseling services. Additional information is available online at Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disaster Distress Helpline.


    U.S. Small Business Administration
    Economic injury disaster loans are available from the SBA to provide disaster-related working capital to small businesses and most private nonprofit organizations. These working capital loans may be used to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable, and other bills that could have been paid had the disaster not occurred. The deadline to return economic injury disaster loan applications as a result of Hurricane Florence is June 14, 2019. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application via the SBA’s secure website at

    U.S. Housing and Urban Development
    The Federal Housing Administration insures mortgages on single family and multifamily homes, including manufactured homes. Call 800-304-9320 or email [email protected] to learn about resources. To find an approved lender near you, visitHUD Lender List Search.

    U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency
    Farmers and ranchers can apply for disaster assistance for damage or losses from Hurricane Florence. Along with FEMA grants and SBA loans, farmers and ranchers may be eligible for emergency loans through the USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Eligible losses covered by emergency loans and other programs may include crops and livestock. For more information, go online or visit the nearest FSA office. In addition, the Value Added Producer Grants program provides funding to help agricultural producers enter value-added activities related to the processing and/or marketing of new products.


    U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development
    The USDA Rural Development can provide assistance to homeowners in rural areas. The USDA Single Family Housing Direct Home Loans Program, also known as Section 502 Direct Loan Program, helps low- and very-low-income families living in rural areas by providing payment assistance to increase an applicant’s repayment ability. Loan funds can be used to purchase homes in rural areas; as well as, to build, repair, renovate or relocate a home, or to purchase and prepare sites. The USDA Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program, also known as Section 502 Guaranteed Loan Program, provides low- and moderate- income families living in rural areas with loan funds to build, rehabilitate, improve or relocate a dwelling in eligible rural communities. The USDA Single Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants, also known as Section 504 Home Repair Program, provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly (age 62 and older) very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
    The website for the Office for Civil Rights division of HHS provides information on effective planning, response and recovery for people who have special needs. Before, during and after a disaster, members of this population may have additional needs to maintain independence, communication, transportation, supervision and medical care. Visit Office of Civil Rights Special Needs Training.

    National Center for Disaster Fraud
    If you suspect fraud, waste, abuse or mismanagement of disaster relief operations, call the Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721. Calls can be made anonymously and confidentially.


    Other Resources

    Volunteer Opportunities 
    The North Carolina Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NCVOAD) coordinates volunteer efforts. For information The North Carolina organization is part of the National Voluntary Organizations in Disaster.

    The American Red Cross provides volunteer opportunities. Go online to find how to help:

    Donate to Florence Recovery
    The North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund is accepting contributions for Hurricane Florence damage that will help with unmet needs of Hurricane Florence survivors. Contributions may be made online by secure link after you submit the webform also may text FLORENCE to 20222 or mail your donation to North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund, 20312 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699.

    Cash donations offer volunteer agencies the most flexibility in obtaining the most-needed resources and bring money into the local economy to help businesses recover.


    More Information
    For more information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Florence, visit Follow us on Twitter: @NCEmergency and @FEMARegion4.