Thanks to Mary Ann LeRay, Executive Director of The Filling Station , Pollocksville’s community resource, for giving us a tour of their ever-growing outreach operation on Thursday 9/20. She showed WSFL around their ever evolving facility, which houses multiple resources, including their drive thru food pantry distribution that takes place Tuesday and Thursday from 9AM-Noon.
They are in the process of building a teaching kitchen, have a garden to provide fresh produce to those whom might not otherwise have a resource to obtain it, and are also stocking hurricane preparedness kits for the elerly among many other invaluable resources. Primarily their mission is to assist with filling unmet needs in areas of Nutrition, Education, and Connection for the residents of Jones County and are hosting a fundraiser, “Jones County – A Perfect 10” on Sunday, October 10, from 1 to 6, along 10 Mile Fork Road near Riverbend, Pollocksville and Trenton.
This fundraiser will offer activities at eight sites along a five-mile stretch of 10 Mile Fork Rd conveniently located near Pollocksville, Trenton, and River Bend. These sites include:
- Z.A.K.’S – Shop at this unique country store and enjoy apple cider and ginger snaps.
- Hayride – Take a hayride along a country lane.
- Farm animals – Visit a menagerie of friendly goats, cows, donkeys, and chickens.
- Tree Farm – Walk the trails and learn about longleaf pines and the history of naval stores.
- Moosic – Relax and enjoy music, along with the cows and calves across the road.\
- Things from Yesteryear – This museum is full of vintage treasures.
- Kitty’s Korner Etc – Let your creativity bloom as you paint a ceramic souvenir to take home.
- The host sites stretch about 5 miles from Z.A.K.’S located at 1553 10 Mile Fork Rd, to Kitty’s Korner Etc located at 4205 10 Mile Fork Rd.
- 1:00 to 6:00 on Sunday, October 10, 2021.
- No tickets are needed! All you need to do is show up and “Do as much as you can! – Donate as much as you can!”
- Parking will be indicated by an antique car and signage at each site.
- Hosts will be on-site near the parking area to assist as needed.
- Water and Porta-Johns will be provided at each site.
- Donation boxes will be available at each site. Please use them!
We appreciate Executive Director LeRay’s time and if you’d like information on utilizing the Filling Station’s services, just head over to fillingstation1075.com